BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest Player & Parent Guidelines
BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest exists to provide a quality program for all players to develop their skills and to learn the importance of cooperation and teamwork. In order to achieve these goals, cooperation is required from everyone involved.
The success of BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest and each of its programs depends on the commitment of the individual players and their families.
To be competitive, every team member and family must be committed to the goals of the team and its coach(es).
Season of play is from tryouts until the conclusion of the season ending event for an age group.
- For BC Selects teams, tryouts may be conducted towards the end of November with the season running through to the end of May. Teams committing to additional tournaments will continue to train and compete to the conclusion of the registered event(additional costs will be incurred for an extended season.
- For TeamBC teams, tryouts may be conducted towards the end of November with the season running through to the end of May. Teams committing to additional tournaments will continue to train and compete to the conclusion of the registered event(additional costs will be incurred for an extended season.
We ask our coaches to exhibit the highest level of professionalism and to set an example to every player. Likewise, we ask our players and parents to subscribe to a high level of conduct.
We ask parents and players to look at the following, not as rules, but rather as a style of behaviour that allows everyone to enjoy the club.
Participation is open to all without regard to race, religious beliefs, or national origin.
Players are reminded that tournaments are played on Saturdays and/or Sundays. Some tournaments may include play on Fridays and/or Mondays.
Each participant and her parent/guardian is required to read, understand, and accept our Player and Parent Participation Agreement which includes a Medical Release Form before the player is allowed to practice or play.
Players are expected to maintain a courteous manner during all club activities including practices, travel to and from tournaments, both on and off the court.
A player whose conduct is deemed improper will be asked to leave the practice, tournament, or the club.
Possession and/or use of drugs or alcohol (and any dangerous substance or item) is strictly prohibited at all club activities and violation of this rule will be grounds for expulsion from the club with no reimbursement of fees.
A player who has been expelled due to conduct will have the balance of any outstanding fees due immediately.
Coaches have complete charge of their teams.
Players and parents are expected to respect the coach’s decisions and requests. Players are encouraged to remain with their team during functions. This helps to build relationships and trust outside of a "sport specific" environment.
Should a situation arise where a player or parents’ behaviour is deemed inappropriate or detrimental to team development, the player may be removed from the team.
Depending on severity of circumstance, no refund of fees will be provided as the team will still be completing its season based on original numbers selected.
Drugs & Alcohol
Possession and/or use of drugs or alcohol (and any dangerous substance or item) is strictly prohibited at all club activities and violation of this rule will be grounds for expulsion from the club with no reimbursement of fees. Balance of any outstanding fees will be immediately due.
Parents are responsible for transportation to and from practices and local tournaments unless it is decided by the coach that the team will travel together.
Parents should expect to drive or arrange rides to tournaments and practices.
All teenage drivers are responsible and liable for themselves and any other passengers.
Athletes who drive other athletes who are not a sibling to the driver must provide written consent signed by a parent of both the driver and the passenger. This includes traveling to and from practices and/or other events.
A player who drives themselves or others to and/or from practices and/or tournaments is responsible for herself and her passengers.
Any costs for team transportation to and from team related functions, when team transportation is required, will be divided by the total number of players on the team regardless of participation. This will apply even if a player(s) finds a different means of transportation from rest of the team.
Attendance & Absences
Each family should carefully consider the commitment required in having a successful volleyball team and season.
The BC Selects season extends from tryouts through to May/June. Tournaments are scheduled on weekends. On occasion, playdays may be scheduled on weeknight evenings. Needless to say, this is a substantial time and financial commitment.
The TeamBC season extends from tryouts through to May/June. Tournaments are scheduled on weekends. On occasion, playdays may be scheduled on weeknight evenings. Needless to say, this is a substantial time and financial commitment.
If a player consistently misses practice, she does a disservice to herself as well as her team.
A player who misses three (3) practices without proper reason and notification to her coach may be suspended from the club. Please note that school activities take precedence over club activities. However, the player is expected to notify her coach of any conflicts.
When a player misses a tournament, the team is hurt. Each player is an integral part of the team and contributes an important role. Just as the players rely on the coach, the coach relies on the players to exhibit the same commitment to the team that the team expects of the coach.
Each player is responsible for notifying her coach of any physical ailment or injury which may affect her ability to play or practice.
Coaches must be advised of any and all absences of players. We believe it is the players responsibility and not the parents responsibility to communicate. Parents are asked to respect our need to develop relationships and responsibility with the athletes and to allow athletes to take responsibility for their actions. Parents are encouraged to model acceptable behaviour and allow the athlete to take responsibility for their actions.
Parents are requested to set a proper example to the players while at all club activities.
Northwest Juniors Memorial Day Tournament/ Emerald City Classic Tournament
BC Selects teams will participate in the NorthWest Power League. These events are held primarily in the Seattle area(Wa.). It is anticipated that these events will be played once a month - likely at the beginning of each month for January, February, and March. These events are run as two separate one day tournaments.
Budgets for the BC Selects teams include participation in 3 local - club run events(approx cost is $150-175/event) and the cost of the NorthWest Power League($175USD/event x 6 events).
Season cost is provided in our team offer emails. Season fees do not includeTravel expenses.
All players accepting positions with BC Selects must be able to commit to these tournaments. Players who are unable to attend these tournaments will still be subject to the proportionate fees associated with these tournaments.
BC Selects teams will also be participating in their year-end tournament - the Emerald City Classic tournament in the Seattle area over the American Long weekend in May(last weekend of May) which is not included in club fees, however, fundraisers are in place to help offset costs of regular season club fees and the year end tournament in the Seattle area. Cost for this tournament including entry fee and accommodation has historically been approximately $250-300 depending on commitment numbers .
TeamBC teams will also be participating in their year-end tournament - Likely the Northwest Juniors Memorial Day Classic tournament in the Seattle area over the American Long weekend in May(last weekend of May) which is not included in club fees, however, fundraisers are in place to help offset costs of regular season club fees and the year end tournament in the Seattle area. Cost for this tournament including entry fee and accommodation has historically been approximately $250 depending on commitment numbers .
- Teams participating in any American tournament are responsible for submitting the following forms:
- Copy of current Passport
- Copy of proof of travel insurance
- USAV Medical Release Form: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Du_U057etphbiEjDQFynP1M_2opw6kQw
- USAV Registration: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WPVWNYHolJ8vRJ01ZYC5UxPKJxjh5teg
- As per our travel guidelines, rooms will be secured for each team in the entire club. Rooms are assigned to players and there will be no changes permitted to the rooming lists assigned. Rooms are King Suites with a pull out sofa(3/king & 2/sleeper sofa), or Double Queen Suites(2/queen & 1/sleeper sofa).
Season cost is provided in our team offer emails. Season fees do not includeTravel expenses.
When and where we choose to communicate has a great deal to do with its ultimate success. Players and parents should request to meet with the coach to discuss issues.
Before and after practice may be appropriate for brief unemotional discussions, but difficult or emotional situations require that a separate meeting be requested. Dealing with difficult problems immediately before a practice usually does not result in a resolution and can disrupt practice for the player, coach and all team members.
We believe that Athletes should take responsibility for their concerns. Parents are welcome to accompany athletes when addressing concerns, however, coaches and our admin team will not meet with parents without an athlete present when dealing with team issues.
A coach cannot be expected to give up practice time to meet with parents or a player. It is particularly disruptive when parents attempt to resolve problems during competitions. The following policies must be followed at all times by players and parents:
- While parents are encouraged to talk with coaches at appropriate times during competition, parents should avoid discussing any player/coach conflict-type situations with the coach during competition unless requested by the coach.
- If this occurs, that parent will be asked to leave the site of competition.
- Lack of cooperation with this will result in the player being asked to leave with the parent.
- Parents MAY NOT discuss their daughter’s or other athletes playing time with the coach on the day of competition, including before or after competition. This subject is loaded with emotion and needs to be dealt with in a meeting with the coach at a later time.
- Lack of cooperation with this will result in the player being suspended from participation pending a Senior Coaches Meeting with the parents/child.
- Disruptive or negative comments from parents directed at tournament officials, team members, or opponents are prohibited. Beyond positive cheering for your daughter’s team, negative comments, parental side line coaching, or even over enthusiastic encouraging of your daughter can be disruptive to the team effort.In this situation, the player will be asked to talk to their parent(s).
- Lack of cooperation with this will result in the dismissal of the player from the competition.
- BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest communicates directly with its players and parents through a secure area of our website, or with the use of a third party provider (in the past it has been HEJA). Profiles are created from the contact information provided on the Online Registration Form. If parents would like to be included in the communications, please make sure you have registered and have created a profile on the website as an BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest Parent. Any and all contact information will not be shared with third party groups without prior written consent.
Failure to complete any of the contact information correctly will result in communication difficulties.
Players and parents are expected to maintain a courteous manner during all club activities including practices, travel to and from tournaments, both on and off the court. A player whose conduct is deemed improper will be asked to leave the practice, tournament, or the club.
Participation in the club sports requires the payment of the club program fee.
The program fee may be paid in instalments as per the club’s payment fee schedule.
A $30 transaction fee will be applied to those who choose to pay their fees in instalments.
Any player whose account is not paid to date will not be allowed to practice or participate.
BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest teams Instalment payments can be made by the 5th of each month as follows:
Deposit - Immediately following Tryouts and Selections
Instalments: January to end of March.
Full payment must be received by March 1 of the current season.
Consideration for extended instalment payments may be made on a case by case basis based on family needs and will require "extended instalment application" along with a signed payment schedule.
Those who choose to pay in instalments will need to complete an credit card authorization form. This authorization will permit BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest to process any and all outstanding fees 5 business after an instalment payment is missed.
Please understand that BC Youth Volleyball is community group volleyball club and do not have the means to support financing of player club fees.
BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest ask for the timely payment of fees.
Your fees enable BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest to function and to service your needs. When fees are not received, your daughter will not be allowed to participate in any practices, tournaments, etc. until payment is received. The success of BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest and each of its teams depends on the commitment of the individual players and their families. To be competitive, every team member and family must be committed to the goals of the team and its coach(es).
We secure gym time(if needed) through official contracts with the appropriate school/school districts to insure that insurance terms are honoured in the event of accident/injuries.
We choose to have our teams participate in a set budget which governs the number of tournaments throughout the season. The set budget for these tournaments are built into our fees and set out at the beginning of the season. Other than traveling fees or "Special Tournaments", we do not ask for any further payments.
- BC SelectsVBC/TeamBC teams budgets are composed of 12 players per team. In maintaining a team of 12, we are able to insure that we are able to provide a competitive level of play during practices, and tournaments.
- BC SelectsVBC/TeamBC teams operating with fewer than 12 players will have the costs and fees reflected to be paid by the number of playing members on the team.
- BC SelectsVBC teams will be provided the opportunity to practice a minimum of 2 times per week (with the probability of the additional small group training sessions).
- TeamBC teams will be provided the opportunity to practice a minimum of 2 times per week.
We rent gym time from School Districts and the township of Langley. Due to this, we will be subject to school district cancellations and alterations or TOL facility use needs. We will do our best to communicate any facility changes, but expect to have days where we will lose access to our regularly booked times. We have been advised that restrictions will typically occur around HS Basketball Provincials(LEC) and Spring Break(Schools). Any practices scheduled over spring break are not calculated in our time booking and are additional optional practices.
While we make every attempt to minimize the cost, we feel that we our costs reflect the actual cost of maintaining a quality program. Contracts with providers are negotiated on a season basis. While the facilities we use do their best to make up cancelled dates/times, this is done as a courtesy and not an expectation. We feel that we are trying to provide a quality program with a complete cost, rather than try to initially present a program that is sub-par. Our costs are all-inclusive other than "Special Tournament" and/or incurred traveling costs.
We do offer opportunities to fund raise to help offset club fee costs.
Social Media & Photo/Video
We hope that families are aware of the use and impact of Social Media in today’s society. We ask that families discuss the appropriate use of Social Media with their kids and develop their own guidelines around appropriate use.
As a club, we will do our best to ensure that our coaches and athletes conduct themselves in a professional manner. When dealing with Social Media, we will ask that coaches and athletes:
- Only connect and communicate with others through Social Media in a positive manner.
- Ensure comments may not be interpreted as slurs, demeaning or inflammatory, etc.
- Comply with applicable privacy, confidentiality and intellectual property laws.
- Refrain from the use of Social Media for the purposes of fraud and/or impersonation.
- Refrain from uploading, posting, emailing or otherwise transmitting:
- Any content that is offensive, obscene, unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, hateful, invasive of another's privacy or otherwise objectionable.\
- Material which is designed to cause annoyance, inconvenience, or needless anxiety to others;
- Infringes the patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary right of any other party;
- Any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or commercial material, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letter", "pyramid scheme" or any other form of solicitation.
- Any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, file or program designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or telecommunications equipment.
Failure to comply may result is disciplinary actions which may include: suspension from the club, and/or expulsion and removal from the club.
Handheld cameras, video cameras, and camera phones are welcome in all public spaces in competition, as well as in the BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest, subject to the following:
- Photographs and videos are for personal use only and may not be sold.
- Natural light only; no flash or other supplemental light.
- Tripods, monopods, handheld microphones, and other external equipment may be used.
- A safe distance must be maintained from all participants.
- Club videos and photos may be posted on “private” web hosted sites for club use.
Bullying & Harassment
BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest that the environment should be a “safe” place where athletes/coaches/families can learn to compete in a respectful and positive manner. Bullying, Harassment, and/or Retaliation will not be tolerated
Bullying and harassment includes any inappropriate conduct or comment by a person towards a player, parent, coach, opponent, or official, that the person knew or reasonably ought to have known would cause that person to be scared, humiliated, or intimidated.
- Examples of conduct or comments that might constitute bullying and harassment include verbal aggression or insults, calling someone derogatory names, harmful hazing or initiation practices, vandalizing personal belongings, and spreading malicious rumours.
- Failure to comply may result is disciplinary actions which may include: suspension from the club, and/or expulsion and removal from the club.
All outstanding fees will be posted at the beginning of March 15 to ensure that all fees are collected by the end of March. Outstanding fees will be posted via club spreadsheet showing a detail of any/all outstanding amounts.
BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest offer payment options for full club fees of: Season cost is provided in our team offer emails. Season fees do not includeTravel expenses.
Interact eTransfers(Club Fees Only)
Here is a video explaining how to use Interac eTransfer:
- You can set up any question you would like, however, the answer should be: volleyballfees
Credit Card Swipe using SquareUp (subject to 5% transaction fee - Club Fees & Additional Major Events)
We can process a credit card payment at the facility using SquareUp processing and our portable card reader. Cardholder must be present when swiping the credit card, as a finger signature will be required. All transactions will be subject to a 5% transaction fee. Receipts will be emailed to the cardholder immediately as the transaction completes.
You can read about this process here:
Invoice payment online through SquareUp (subject to 5% transaction fee)
If you receive an emailed invoice notification from BC Youth Volleyball using SquareUp, you can pay it online. All transactions will be subject to a 5% transaction fee. Receipts will be emailed to the cardholder immediately as the transaction completes.
You can read about this process here:
Send money transfer payment with Paypal (subject to 5% transaction fee - Club Fees & Additional Major Events)
You can choose to make payments of Invoices/Fees by using Paypal. You will need a current paypal account in order to make payments with this procedure. Receipts will be provided through Paypal as the transaction completes.
You can read about this process here:
Cash & Cheques
Unfortunately due to past experiences, we will no longer be accepting Cash or Cheques as forms of payment.
A late fee of 1.5% per month will be applied to any and all outstanding late fees.
Fees that are not current will result in the child not being able to participate in any and all club events until fees brought current.
All payment information will be posted on a private spreadsheet whose link will be shared among all members of the club. This sheet will include all items being billed, as well as all payments received for the entire club.
What is included with our fees:
- Court rental time for practice
- All Administrative supplies
- All Athletic Equipment
- Liability Insurance
- Tournament registration fees & Coaches honourarium
We choose to have our teams participate in as many quality tournaments limited by the budget allocated throughout the season. The costs of these tournaments are built into our fees. Other than travelling fees or "Special Tournaments", we do not ask for any further payments.
Teams that add optional tournaments to their schedule will be required to pay prior to the tournament.
- All fees will be divided among the number of players confirmed. The club will collect the known balance of the fees before the tournament deadline. Any additional charges or credits will be applied after the tournament, and will be invoiced or refunded.
- Failure to pay by the deadline may cause your daughter to be excluded from attending the event.
- Any player who withdraws from participation after committing to an event will have the following options:
- A player of comparable skill and competition level will be accepted to replace the player withdrawing from the event. It is the responsibility of the player withdrawing to find a replacement player of comparable skill level. Any expenses incurred to add a replacement player will be billed back to the withdrawing player’s account.
- The withdrawing player will be billed for their share of team related expenses.
There may be 2 Major fundraisers conducted during the season. The fundraiser type is a wine raffle. For the wine raffle, families must provide 2 bottles of non-home brewed wine at the parent meeting.(2 bottles of wine valued approximately $20/bottle). All monies raised through these fundraisers will be used to offset costs for club fees for the entire season and costs surrounding participation in the Emerald City Classic/ NW Juniors tournaments. These fundraisers are not optional as we need full cooperation by all club members to ensure that prizing is adequate.
Your child's acceptance of an offered position represents your child’s commitment to BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest. Based on these commitments, the club makes payments for registrations, travel and lodging which are often not recoverable. If a player withdraws from an event, or is removed, fees will not be refunded because to do so would unfairly increase other player’s fees. Any outstanding fees will be due immediately and interest may begin if fees are not fully paid within 7 business days of withdrawal.
Should a player accept a position with BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest, please be advised that:
- A contract is being formed between the player and their family and BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest.
- BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest will not look to replace the accepted player.
- Should a player/family decide that they will no longer accept the position with BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest, or if a player is removed as a result of a violation to our policies, the balance of the full club fees will be due immediately.
The purpose of this policy is simple.
BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest is proud to develop all athletes who choose to accept a position offered within the club. BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest wants to develop athletes who want to play for BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest because of its training methods, philosophy, and sense of community.
BC Youth Volleyball/SynergySMASH/ClubvolleyFest would rather not commit to players who are not certain they are committed to its training methods, philosophy, or sense of community.